Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Procrastination for the sake of progress

I have been perusing writing/writer blogs. I have found themes in what they say. One of them is write, no matter what you are writing, every day. I thought that maybe, when I'm putting off writing my books, I can write in this blog and talk out why I'm struggling. Then I am still writing and maybe it will be the "unblock" that I need.

Another theme I've noticed is that you can't be afraid to suck. Just write it. It will most likely...suck. First drafts are just word vomit on a page. The art of writing is in the revising. Since more than one published author has said this on something I've read or watched in the past two days, I'm going to believe it is true. So that means I just need to get it down on paper (or type it on the computer as the case may be) and not worry about what it is, just make it be.

Also, my sister has had a similar idea of making a blog along the same lines. She and I tend to copy each other or have these good ideas at the same time. So while I actually thought of doing something like this before she mentioned it to me, her actual action into making a blog has spurred me into starting mine. Which had me spending 2 hours last night searching through Blogger templates (which makes me want to learn how to make Blogger templates because of the severe lack of good looking ones for free, but NO TIME) instead of writing. This was followed by at least 2 more hours on Tumblr, on just one person's page, a girl that I love, a fellow writer, and really the only person I follow on Tumblr. She's got great stuff up on her page and I will have to go back through it with more attention to detail when I have the time (TIME? WHO HAS IT?).

So now, I have started. Yey! The beginning is always easy. It's the follow through that's the hard part. I'm going to try! And Stacey and Sarah, my sisters, will be my support. Counting on you two!

So priorities that I am juggling, in no particular order:
  1. Writing my book(s)
  2. Master's Degree school work
  3. Crocheting baby blankets for my friends (2 atm)
  4. Finishing the diaper bag and quilt for my other friend having a baby
  5. This blog
  6. My dogs! (They are probably #1, just FYI)
Yes. I think that is it. It's a lot. I need about 5 more hours in each day. Dang you 8 hours of sleep! Oh yes, and my job. Forgot about that. So that list is the stuff I need to do in my free time, when I am not working. There we go. Fixed.

2 comments:

Calicocoa said...

The amount of time I've sat down to write at my computer and gotten distracted by Tumblr or Pinterest or LJ is beyond counting.

Oh reddit too. I get caught up on their "AMA" and news articles.

Sarah Captured said...

Great idea! Excited for all the good reads that's about to come my way.
Ironically, E and I were just talking yesterday about how to let go of perfectionism in photography. Sometimes your photos are just going to be 'ehh' to you. Instead of driving yourself crazy trying to make everything perfect, if it inspires you, post it! Us narcissistic photogs love the attention we get from our new photos anyways ;)
I am also a great one for starting things and not finishing them. E told me not too long ago he notices I like to get halfway through things then quit. Blah...hate it when he's right.
I am actually starting to come out of my FB additiction (finally!) although I do check daily. But yes, Pinterest is the devil, along with YouTube, 300px, Groupon, Craiglist, Amazon, emails from clothing stores, a fashion blog here or there and even Flickr sometimes. Lord help me if I'm trying to find new music for my iPhone. No wonder I get nothing done....

Post a Comment