Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Writing on the backburner

So so much has happened since my last posting. I have scrapped the last book I was writing. Not totally, but it needs a total make over, rehaul, redo, recast....so it's become something I don't want to look at right this second. Hannah and Caleb will have their moment. Just not this moment.

I have been thinking about my original book, as yet untitled, about Mia and Ian and dragons. I went back and re-read what I wrote a year ago; I have half a book written and written fairly well. I just need to sit down and write. Every time I try, however, I get distracted. By things.

It's my cycle- I am just coming out of a video game cycle. I would rather crush some Imperials on SWTOR than do just about anything for the last 2 months. Now I haven't logged on in a week. Now I'm in the sewing stage. And it is taking over everything!

It started with purses. I started small and then found out I have a knack for it and it's progressed from there. Now I can make some really knock out, professional looking bags. I recently got some sample size fabrics from the home decor section of Joann's for $1- two to three of those will make one small "date night" purse and it only takes me about an hour. How fun!

Then I started making clothes for my sister. The first shirt I made was a disaster, mostly because it was the wrong type of fabric. My second attempt, a dress, seems to be going much better. I did a muslin sample on her first to fit it, like I've seen them do on Project Runway, and so far it has been going well. I just need her to come over to make sure it fits and to hem it, finish up the lining and she'll be good to go. I am also working on a matching purse for which I have so many ideas it's crazy.

So ... my writing blog may turn into a sewing blog. I think I will try and take pictures of my next project just to document the journey. I have another dress that I am making for Stace- I am excited to start on it. It is less fitted so it should be even easier!

Off to work. Yes I am working, just not on the things I thought I would be...

Plan:

This is my next dress for Stacey, the one in black and yellow on the right. It's only 5 pieces, I think I am only going to do a muslin for the top as that is the part that is fitted. It is also not lined, thinking about trying interlining with it. I also got extra (end of the bolt! 50% off!) of the flower material for a cute matching handbag. I plan to have the muslin ready to try on Stacey next weekend when she comes out to visit.

Tomorrow: Purse to match black/white/yellow dress.  Some date night purses. Dogs to dog park if not raining. Take things to Salvation Army. Clean my room.  Busy day!

Some cuteness to end on:
So adorable.

PS. I love Hart of Dixie. Wade is so yummy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment